Please see the press release below from Governor Rick Scott announcing the winners of the 2018 Hispanic Heritage Month contests.
CEO of Volunteer Florida, David Mica, Jr, said, “Volunteer Florida is proud to work with the Governor and First Lady to sponsor the Hispanic Heritage Month contests. By recognizing the winning students and teachers, we celebrate the Hispanic leaders who have contributed to Florida’s rich history with their vibrant culture and unique talents and skills.”
Volunteer Florida is also grateful for the support of the following sponsors:
- Florida Blue
- Florida Lottery
- Sunshine Health
Governor Rick Scott and First Lady Ann Scott Announce Hispanic Heritage Month Contest Winners
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Last night, Governor Rick Scott and First Lady Ann Scott announced the 2018 Hispanic Heritage Month student and teacher contest winners. This year’s theme was “A Celebration of Innovative Hispanic-American Leaders,” and the winners were honored during the annual Hispanic Heritage Month reception at the Florida Governor’s Mansion. Three four-year prepaid Florida College Plan scholarships by the Florida Prepaid College Foundation were awarded to the winners of the Hispanic Heritage Month essay contest. Winners of the Excellence in Education award and winners of the student art contest were also awarded prizes.
Award recipients are as follows:
Essay Contest Winners
- Elementary School Category: Adriana Person, Heritage Elementary School, Hillsborough County
- Middle School Category: Liam Bozarth, Pinellas Preparatory Academy, Pinellas County
- High School Category: David Ulloa, Belleview High School, Marion County
Excellence in Education Award Winners
- Elementary School Category: Vanessa Gonzalez, Vero Beach Elementary School, Indian River County
- Middle School Category: Nathaly Ibarra, Howell L. Watkins Middle School, Palm Beach County
- High School Category: Brian Crouch, Lake Worth Community High School, Palm Beach County
Student Art Contest Winners
- Micaela A. Benito, Key Biscayne Community School, Miami-Dade County
- Title of Art: “A Celebration of Excellence”
- Gabriel H. Mikati, Pinewood Elementary, Martin County.
- Title of Art: “Hispanic Leaders Building Florida”