Volunteer Florida is currently looking for a Director of External Affairs to join our team. If you possess high-level organizational skills, have the ability to set goals and priorities, and have the desire to work in a collaborative team atmosphere, this may be the position for you!
This position requires the ability to excercise discretion, judgment and responsibility for the continued development of Volunteer Florida and Volunteer Florida Foundation’s communication strategies and public relations plans; directing the organization’s communication efforts. This position also directs and plans special events such as service projects, recognition programs and signature events. In addition, this position is responsible for developing legislative strategies for the organization to manage intergovernmental relationships through liaising with state agencies and legislators, to achieve the organization’s legislative objectives.
Desired Skills and Experience
This position requires a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university and a minimum of three years’ experience in the field of communications/public relations. Legislative experience is preferred.
The ideal candidate will be a team player with experience in coordination and administration at an executive level. Other knowledge, skills and experience include the following:
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing with a clear command of the rules of composition and grammar. High level of skill and attention to detail in writing and editing is required.
- Knowledge of the legislative process and bill tracking. Knowledge of the tasks related to tracking legislation and analyzing proposed bills in order to advocate for agency funding and governance.
- Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes traditional written, oral, and visual media and social media.
- Knowledge and ability to apply principles and methods for promoting products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Skill in actively seeking and developing ways to assist others with a high level of professionalism and customer service.
- Demonstrated ability to identify complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions. Ability to exercise independent discretion and judgment to resolve matters of importance.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and coordinate among members of the team and between other departments or external organizations to meet performance objectives.
- Skill in maintaining a high level of organization with the ability to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to travel overnight for all in-person Commission and Foundation Board meetings and other events as needed.
Volunteer Florida is the state’s lead agency for volunteerism and national service for Florida. Volunteer Florida administers over $34M in federal and state funding to deliver high-impact national service and volunteer programs in Florida. For more information about our organization, please visit us at: www.volunteerflorida.org
To apply for this position:
1) Download the Volunteer Florida Job Application Form.
2) Fill out the application form completely.
3) Submit your completed application form and a copy of your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.