Although this holiday season may look different for some, the continued need in Florida’s communities has never been greater. This year has been difficult for many, from the COVID-19 pandemic to the active hurricane season. As you and your family celebrate this holiday season, consider helping those in your community that need a little extra help. Below are a few quick tips to remember when serving your community!
- Before you commit your time or resources to an organization, do your research! Make sure the organization is legitimate and confirm there is a need for the donated good or volunteer service before participating.
- Make sure you ask the organization what safety precautions they are taking to keep their volunteers, staff and clients safe before and after the volunteer activity. Here are some great tips from the Florida Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster.
Pro-tip: If you are not comfortable volunteering in-person, ask the organization if they have any virtual volunteer opportunities! The organization could need help editing their monthly newsletter or organizing their donation spreadsheet which can be done from home!
- Make time for volunteer training! Most organizations will require volunteers to undergo some brief training before volunteering. Before you sign-up for an opportunity, make sure you have time to participate in these training activities.
- Be realistic with your schedule. The holidays can be a busy time, so it’s important that you only sign-up for the volunteer shifts that you can attend.
- The need for volunteers is year-round, so ask about future volunteer opportunities while serving this holiday season!
To find a volunteer opportunity near you, visit Volunteer Connect, Florida’s official volunteer opportunities platform available on www.VolunteerFlorida.org.